PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- It is very important to the success of this program that you are able to commit to all the requirements for this course which include: attending the related class sessions, traveling to and from the trip destination along with the group, and participating in all scheduled activities at the destination site. Upon return from the trip, you will need to participate in the group presentation project.
- If you decide to drop out at the last minute, we will not able to replace you which will impact the number of individuals we are able to serve in the destination site. You will also be preventing another student from taking part in the experience.
- If you cancel your participation in the trip once the airline ticket has been purchased with your name, you will owe the School of Nursing the total price of the ticket and your fee will be applied toward the price of the ticket. If the cost of the ticket is higher than the fee you paid, you need to submit a check for the remaining amount to LCC. It is your responsibility to contact the airline as soon as possible to cancel the flights and to deal with the airline to obtain any credit on the cancelled ticket.
- Also, if you cancel your participation, we cannot guarantee your acceptance into another future trip, should you be eligible and apply again. Acceptance will depend on many factors, including the number of applicants at that time. Should you be accepted again, you will need to pay all corresponding fees.
- Housing and food differs between the sites. You might be eating local food and staying in rustic housing without air conditioning.
- If you have special dietary restrictions or allergies, the Emory School of Nursing will not be able to make any special accommodations for you. Therefore, you will need to plan accordingly prior to the trip.
- International SOS provides Emory's students traveling internationally on Emory sponsored programs with international medical, security and travel assistance. Please note that this is an assistance program, NOT healthcare or health insurance. You should determine how your health insurance applies to international care prior to departure. In most instances, medical expenses incurred abroad will have to be paid out of pocket an reimbursement sought later from your insurance carrier.
- A passport is required for travel to all sites, except Puerto Rico, and must be valet for 6 months after travel date. It must have blank pages.
- Students not maintaining proper conduct as determined by the trip leader may be sent home at their expense.
- Students with significant health problems are advised to contact their health care provider to be sure the rigor of the trip adversely affect their health.
- Please be aware if your are accepted to go on a trip you are required to pay $600.
- Zika Virus Disclosure:
In the case of Zika, the CDC has also issued special recommendations for women who are either pregnant or intending to get pregnant:
• Women who are pregnant (in any trimester):
o Consider postponing travel to any area where Zika virus transmission is ongoing.
o If you must travel to one of these areas, talk to your doctor first and strictly follow steps to prevent mosquito bites during your trip.
• Women who are trying to become pregnant:
o Before you travel, talk to your doctor about your plans to become pregnant and the risk of Zika virus infection.
o Strictly follow steps to prevent mosquito bites during your trip.